August 15, 2005
Posted by on
Been missing in action once again. Hard to find time to do anything lately with extra hours at work, keeping up with my running and trying to keep up with the rest of life. So, here’s a recap of some things I’ve been doing during the absence:
– Checked out Shuhei out in Beachwood. It’s a Japense restaurant that is often called one of the best sushi spots in Cleveland. Was not the best I’ve ever had and the atmosphere was a little too stuffy for my tastes (i.e. older crowd with a lot more money than myself). But the sushi was good and not super-pricey.
– Since I was out in that part of town, Kristy & I headed out to the Cedar Lee Theatre and saw the movie ‘Happy Endings‘. It was an ensemble comedy starring, amongst others, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Lisa Kudrow and Tom Arnold. It wasn’t laugh-out-loud funny, but it was entertaining and was far from the cookie-cutter comedies that Hollywood seems to churn out these days.
– The next day, we headed out east to Lake County for Vintage Ohio, a big annual wine-tasting festival in Kirtland, OH. I never realized it was such a popular event. There were a few thousand people there and it was a perfect day for it. Basically it’s a bunch of Ohio-based wineries giving people samples of their goods, along with a bunch of food and other samples, live music and other merchants. You get a glass and stand in line at the different tents and try whatever you like. You are given a card which gets marked each time you get a sample, but if you were to even half-fill the card, you’d be pretty darn drunk. I’ve never been a big wine drinker, so it was nice to get a good sampling of some different kinds which I would otherwise likely never have tried. My favorite wineries were Breitenbach Winery (in Amish Country) and Heineman Winery (in Put-In-Bay).
– This past weekend, after I got off work Saturday afternoon Kristy & I headed to Schneider’s Bike Shop in Cleveland and picked up a new bike for Kristy. She got a Giant bike, pretty similar to the one I got there myself about a month ago. Schneider’s had a good selection of bikes and the best prices I had seen anywhere in the area. Definitely the best shop I’ve been to around town. We then hit the towpath for a quick ride before the rain hit.
– Yesterday, I woke up early and hit the towpath for my long run of the week. 16 miles non-stop in just over 2 1/2 hours. I felt pretty good for most of the run, thanks in part to the overcast sky and mid 70s temps. It wasn’t until after the run that my body reminded me that it doesn’t really like running that much. But it will get over it, it always does. 46 days and counting to the marathon.